Saturday, November 3, 2012

That's new/ "Da geh' ich ins Maxim" - my "Placido Domingo weeks"

  • Some days ago I was re-reading a little book with many, many opera anecdotes - some really made me laugh. So I'll be starting a little "row of posts" with some anecdotes.
  • Also I'll post a lovely part from Franz Lehár's operetta "Die lustige Witwe"("The Merry Widow"), a piece of music that I'm pretty sure of everybody knows - "Da geh' ich ins Maxim" sung by Placido Domingo - why I chose Placido Domingo? - because he's gonna appear in "Simon Boccanegra" in the upcoming 2 weeks and of course I'll be there at every performance! - So let's call the next 2 weeks "my Placido Domingo weeks":)
  • As I told in my last post - my next posts probably be about Ferruccio Furlanetto mostly - he now has the place of "best singer of all time for ever and ever" in my heart:)  There are like no appropriate words to describe how I admire him!

Oh Napoléon!

Napoléon Bonaparte hated the so-called "cri". So before a performance he attended he would go up to the singers and greet them with the nice words :"Madame, would you do me a favor and don't yell as much as you usually do?"  

"Da geh' ich ins Maxim"

So - here's this catchy tune from Lehár's wonderful operetta "Die lustige Witwe". Placido Domingo sing this song just GREAT (like the best version probably!) - though there's one thing that "hurts" - a German speaking person at least. He sings (in every recording I've heard btw) "Da geh ich ZU Maxim..." and that's just not true - the "Maxim" is a restaurant, a club in Paris - NOT a person. I've heard this "Da geh' ich ZU Maxim" version from time to time, even sung by German speaking singers, but Maxim isn't Danilo's friend, "Maxim" is no person in this case!!!! If he wanted  to say "Now I go visiting my friend Maxim" - THEN it WOULD BE CORRECT to sing "Da geh ich ZU Maxim", but since the "Maxim" is a facility you go to it HAS to be "Da geh' ich INS Maxim". 
SO now this time's German lesson is finished ;)
 Click HERE for the correct version sung by Johannes Heesters (WONDERFUL!)


Lyrics (German only)

O Vaterland du machst bei Tag
Mir schon genügend Müh und Plag!
Die Nacht braucht jeder Diplomat
Doch meistenteils für sich privat!
Um Eins bin ich schon im Büro,
Doch bin ich gleich drauf anderswo,
Weil man den ganzen lieben Tag
Nicht immer im Büro sein mag!
Erstatte ich beim Chef Bericht
So tu' ich's meistens selber nicht,
Die Sprechstund' halt' ich niemals ein,
Ein Diplomat muss schweigsam sein!
Die Akten häufen sich bei mir,
Ich find' es gibt zu viel Papier;
Ich tauch' die Feder selten ein
Und komm' doch in die Tint' hinein!
Kein Wunder wenn man so viel tut,
Dass man am Abend gerne ruht,
Und sich bei Nacht, was man so nennt,
Erholung nach der Arbeit gönnt!
Da geh ich ins Maxim,
Dort bin ich sehr intim,
Ich duze alle Damen
Ruf' sie beim Kosenamen,
Lolo, Dodo, Joujou
Clocio, Margot, Froufrou,
Sie lassen mich vergessen
Das teu're Vaterland!
Dann wird champagnisiert,
Und häufig cancaniert
Und geht's an's Kosen, Küssen
Mit allen diesen Süßen;
Lolo, Dodo, Joujou
Clocio, Margot, Froufrou,
Dann kann ich leicht vergessen
Das teu're Vaterland!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment